The ultimate in advanced technology for the ultimate in forgiveness
CARLSBAD, CA (October 16, 2007) – Cobra Golf announces the release of its most technologically advanced iron ever, the King Cobra UFi. The UFi name stands for Ultimate Forgiveness irons.
"Cobra has a rich history of developing high performance irons," said Jeff Harmet, President, Cobra Golf and Titleist Clubs. "In developing the UFi irons, the objective of the Cobra R&D iron team was to utilize advanced technology and design to achieve the highest level of forgiveness and playability at any cost."
Designed by integrating multiple materials, these irons feature an exclusive metal matrix face insert, patented polymer topline, high density tungsten heel-toe weighting and a steel alloy body. Combined, these advanced technologies provide the ultimate in forgiveness, along with exceptional feel.
"The UFi is the most technologically advanced iron Cobra has ever developed," said Scott Rice, Director of Research and Development. "A key design element in the UFi is the metal matrix face insert. This unique alloy produces a face insert that is 65% lighter than steel which allows us to shift weight out to the perimeter of the clubhead, as well as shift the CG lower and further back to produce the highest MOI and lowest CG of any iron we have ever developed."
By employing multi-material integration and advanced head design, Cobra engineers achieved the highest MOI and lowest CG of any iron Cobra has ever produced. Together, these technologies generate the ultimate in forgiveness, distance and feel.
Metal Matrix Face Insert:
• The UFi proprietary metal matrix face insert is a metal alloy comprised of nine different metals, which are 65% lighter than steel and 35% lighter than titanium. Nano-sized particles of Scandium (Sc) are imbedded in the metal's structure.
• The precision combination of the nine metals, combined with precise rolling of the material into sheets and a special heat treatment, allows the Metal Matrix material to achieve strength comparable to 431 stainless steel, while maintaining an incredibly low density.
• This combination of high strength and light weight make it an ideal material to free up discretionary weight, which moves the CG low, back and to the perimeter and increases MOI for ultimate forgiveness.
• The hardness is similar to that of a forging, which promotes a soft, solid feel at impact.
• Polymer topline weighs one-quarter of the steel it replaces, so this discretionary weight is moved from the top of the club to the heel and toe weights for a low-back CG for higher launch.
• The polymer topline also helps dampen vibration for improved feel.
Wide-Sole Design with Tungsten Weights:
• Wide sole allows for lower CG and higher MOI.
• High density tungsten weights in the heel and toe shift weight low-back and to the perimeter for maximum forgiveness, high launch and superior distance.
Back Cavity Plate, Urethane Insert:
• Made of aluminum, the full back cavity plate is backed with a urethane layer to dampen vibration and enhance feel.
• Lightweight urethane sole insert moves weight to the heel and toe, increasing MOI for maximum forgiveness.
• These two technologies work in concert with the Metal Matrix face insert and polymer topline to provide amazingly soft feel.
Premium Graphite Design YS-55+, YS-60+ or Nippon NS 900 XH shafts:
• Promotes higher launch, greater control and accuracy.
Avaliable in from November 1.