Nike Golf and its athletes continue to collaborate in producing major successes and dominating the win category, substantiated by its first, second and tied for third place finish at one of the most coveted major championships on the PGA Tour, The Masters. Emerging as champion was Nike Golf Tour Staff member Trevor Immelman, who withstood swirling winds and the tough Augusta National course to grab his first green jacket. Following Immelman at the top of the swoosh-packed leaderboard were Nike Golf’s Tiger Woods and Stewart Cink, who finished second and tied for third, respectively.
Using Nike Golf’s SQ SUMO 5000 driver and the new Nike ONE Platinum ball featuring Power Transfer technology, Immelman ranked first in the field in driving accuracy, hitting 48/56 fairways and averaging 85.71%. He impressively ranked fourth in driving distance averaging 287.50-yard drives. With the combination of his Nike CCi irons and ONE Platinum ball, Immelman tied for second in greens in regulation hitting 51/72 greens and averaging 70.83%. Completing his full bag of Nike Golf arsenal were his 17˚ SQ SUMO Fairway Wood, his 21˚ SQ SUMO Hybrid and his SV 50, SV 54 and SV 60-degree wedges.
Nike Golf enjoyed significant exposure, with its athletes representing three of the top five, and five of the top 20 positions on the final leaderboard – all using Nike Golf equipment and wearing Nike Golf apparel and footwear. Nike Golf currently leads the PGA Tour in driver and iron wins with five in 2008.
Immelman’s Master Championship Highlights
– Immelman’s win at The Masters is his 1st Major win and his 2nd win on the PGA Tour (he won the Cialis Western Open in 2006)
– Immelman is the first Masters Champion in 28 years to win after leading the tournament after every round.
– 30 years after Gary Player won the Masters, Immelman becomes the first South African in 30 years to don the Green Jacket
– Immelman put on the best par 4 performance since 1995, with a par 4 score of -10
– Immelman had impressive statistics, leading the field in Driving Accuracy with 85.71%, Tied for 2nd in Greens in Regulation with 70.83% and finished 4th in Driving Distance with 287.5 feet
Immelman’s Nike Golf Arsenal
– Driver: Nike SQ Sumo 5000
– Irons: Nike CCi Cast Irons (4-PW)
– Wedges: Nike SV 50˚, Nike SV 54˚ and Nike SV 60˚
– Fairway Wood: Nike SQ SUMO 17˚
– Hybrid: Nike SQ SUMO 21˚
– Ball: Nike ONE Platinum featuring Nike Power Transfer Technology
– Footwear: Air Tour TW 8.5
– Apparel: Nike Golf Tour and Nike Golf Tiger Woods Collection Apparel
– Glove: Nike Golf’s Dri-FIT Tour