Best in Class Woods, Irons, Putters and Balls on Display at PGA Merchandise Show
CARLSBAD, CA- Callaway Golf Company (NYSE: ELY) today presented its 2009 new product lineup at the annual PGA Merchandise Show in Orlando, FL. The 2009 lineup includes three new drivers, FT-iQ, FT-9 and Big Bertha Diablo; X-22 irons, the latest edition in Callaway’s X-Series; two new Odyssey 2-Ball putters; and several new high-performance golf balls, including Callaway’s Big Bertha Diablo ball and Top-Flite’s new and improved D2 balls.
“Golfers of all abilities will be excited by our new equipment,” said George Fellows, President and CEO, Callaway Golf. “There is something new from each of our brands and for every skill level. There’s a club or a ball that will help everyone’s game.”
Headlining the list of products on display is Callaway Golf’s new all-titanium driver, the Big Bertha Diablo. The latest manifestation of the iconic franchise that began in 1991, Callaway’s Big Bertha now has a brand new attitude. Designed for golfers of all skill levels, including elite tour players, the new Big Bertha Diablo driver features Edge Technology, generating a maximum release of power.
The 2009 season also welcomes Callaway Golf’s latest edition of X-Series irons, a major contributor to Callaway’s longstanding position in the U.S. as “The No. 1 Irons in Golf.” “Improving upon the best-selling X-Series product that preceded this X-22 model was a daunting task,” said Jeff Colton, Sr. VP Research and Development, Callaway Golf. “The result of that task, however, may be their most perfect blend of performance, feel and aesthetics to date.”
Odyssey, maker of the bestselling putters in golf, introduces two exciting additions to its legendary 2-Ball family of putters, as well as several new offerings within its White Hot XG line. The Black Series i 2-Ball putter melds the finest materials available to create the ultimate in tour-level performance and responsiveness. The progressive White Hot XG 2-Ball F7 and White Hot XG Teron models offer multi-layer inserts and high MOI for increased accuracy on off-center strokes.
CALLAWAY GOLF 2009 NEW PRODUCT FACT SHEET
· FT-iQ Driver – The longest, straightest driver Callaway Golf has ever created. Multi-material Fusion Technology allows weight to be strategically positioned at the extreme corners, raising Moment of Inertia (MOI) and positioning Center of Gravity (CG) in the optimal location. Hyperbolic Face cup enhances ball speeds across the face and a sleek shape reduces shot curvature. Visually distinctive pearl white, ultra-premium Fubuki™ shaft by Mitsubishi Rayon is featured in all stock models. I-MIX compatible. New product introduction retail price: $499.
· FT-9 Driver – Next generation Fusion Technology maximizes performance to promote increased distance, increased accuracy and increased shot-shaping control – results unachievable in a single-material driver design. OptiFit Weighting System provides draw and neutral CG positions, allowing players to work the ball in both directions. Complete Inertial Design optimizes MOI, CG, CG bias, face design, loft and lie to enhance overall performance. I-MIX compatible. New product introduction retail price: $399.
Big Bertha Diablo Driver– Innovative Four-Piece Formed Construction employs Fusion-like methods to an all-titanium driver to achieve optimal CG locations and higher MOI. Edge Technology assists in closing the clubface at impact for maximum release of power. Unique draw and neutral head shapes utilize geometry to improve shot-shaping control. Hyperbolic Face cup enhances ball speeds across the face. New product introduction retail price: $299.
Jeff Colton, Sr. VP, Research and Development, Callaway Golf: “Our ‘Complete Inertial Design’ principle factors all design variables together to produce the most balanced, highest-performing drivers possible. Performance flaws in ball speed, trajectory, sound and aesthetics are often the result of chasing any one design variable at the expense of another. Instead, we optimize every one of our designs to create balanced performance for golfers of all skill levels.”
· Big Bertha Diablo Fairway Woods – Edge Technology moves weight to the “edge” of the club, providing high MOI for stability and increased distance. Unique draw and neutral head shapes provide options for all types of players to improve shot-shaping control. Variable Face Thickness Technology increases face efficiency for solid shots hit across the entire face. New product introduction retail price (steel/graphite): $179/$199.
Phil Mickelson, Callaway Golf Staff Professional: “For 15 years I’ve been searching for a fairway wood that I just loved and this Big Bertha Diablo is it. It’s the best I’ve ever hit because it’s easy to get up in the air and flies perfectly.”
· Big Bertha Diablo Hybrids – Dual Runner Sole provides superior turf interaction from all types of conditions by reducing the surface area that comes into contact with the ground. Low and deep CG position promotes dynamic ball flight from fairway, rough or tee. Callaway’s proprietary S2H2 Technology moves weight from the hosel and repositions it to more advantageous areas of the clubhead. New product introduction retail price (steel/graphite): $139/$159.
Dr. Alan Hocknell, VP of Innovation and Advanced Design, Callaway Golf: “The Dual Runner Sole promotes solid contact in a variety of turf conditions and lowers the leading edge to make the sweet spot more accessible.”
· X-22 Irons – Precision Notch Weighting allocates discretionary weight around the clubhead to increase MOI and resist twisting on off-center hits. Proprietary 360º Undercut Technology optimizes CG location to promote a consistent ball flight progression and great feel throughout the set. S2H2 with Modified Tru-Bore redistributes weight from the hosel area to improve mass properties. Polycarbonate tip plug dampens vibrations for enhanced feel. New product introduction retail price (steel/graphite): $699/$899.
· X-22 Tour Irons -Tour-proven head shape features the thinnest topline possible while still incorporating 360º Undercut Technology. Sleek new design features Sole Width Progression to provide improved turf interaction through the entire set. Precision Notch Weighting positions weight to the perimeter of the iron to raise MOI. New product introduction retail price: $799 (steel).
Jeff Colton, Sr. VP, Research and Development, Callaway Golf: “Very few products consistently satisfy such a wide spectrum of the market as our X-Series irons. Proven performance from mid-to-high handicappers to veteran pros like Rocco Mediate has propelled our X-Series irons to dynasty status in the golf industry, and we believe the X-22s are our best yet.”
· X-Forged Wedges – Forged 1020 carbon steel provides exceptional touch and feel around the greens. Aggressively sized “Mack Daddy Grooves” provide tour-level spin, trajectory and distance control. C-Grind, a popular grind on tour, relieves the heel, toe and trailing edge. This enables the player to lay open the face and still keep the leading edge down. Twelve loft/bounce angle combinations provide best options for individual swing and turf conditions. Available in two finishes: White Chrome or New Vintage. New product introduction retail price (vintage/chrome): $119/$109.
Roger Cleveland, Chief Designer, Research and Development, Callaway Golf: “Nothing provides more confidence than the beautiful lines and soft feel of forged carbon steel we offer in these X-Forged Wedges.”
· Black Series i 2-Ball – Legendary 2-Ball alignment combined with a precision milled head creates optimal balanced weighting to promote a great feeling stroke and amazing accuracy with a rich, nickel-plated finish that reduces glare. 1025 carbon steel body and a weighted tungsten flange create a low, deep CG to promote a true roll. Tour insert features a highly resilient elastomer core for enhanced feel and a truer roll. A thin, firm outer striking surface infused with urethane offers fine-tuned responsiveness. New product introduction retail price: $299.
Austie Rollinson, Principal Designer, Odyssey: “For golfers demanding the best in performance, precision and craftsmanship, Black Series i Putters are designed with multi-material construction, featuring a multi-layer Tour insert that provides premium feel and responsiveness.”
· White Hot XG 2-Ball F7 – Legendary 2-Ball alignment combined with weighted F7 wings raises MOI an astonishing +40% higher than the original 2-Ball putter introduced in 2001 and increases stability during the stroke for better accuracy and distance control. Multi-layer insert features a soft elastomer core for exceptional feel and a truer roll. A thin, firm outer striking surface infused with urethane provides fine-tuned responsiveness. Textured impact zone enhances feel and clearly defines the optimum impact area. New product introduction retail price: $169.
Austie Rollinson, Principal Designer, Odyssey: “The legendary 2-Ball alignment system allows golfers to more easily line up their putts on the intended target line for a higher level of accuracy.”
· White Hot XG Teron – Named after the Greek word for “wing,” Teron offers a Modified Hi-Def Alignment System that features two alignment stripes running on both the top-center and outer wings of the putter head that makes lining up putts easier and more accurate. The high-density alignment wings create incredible stability for an accurate stroke path. Multi-layer insert features a soft elastomer core for exceptional feel and a truer roll. A thin, firm outer striking surface infused with urethane provides fine-tuned responsiveness. New product introduction retail price: $169.
Austie Rollinson, Principal Designer, Odyssey: “Inspired by high-performance, multi-layer golf ball technology, the White Hot XG insert takes two materials with different properties and combines them to take the level of feedback and feel to an all-new high.”
· Callaway Tour i Series Golf Ball – The most technologically advanced ball Callaway has ever developed. Innovative four-piece inertia technology utilizes a tungsten-infused outer core to shift weight away from the center of the ball. This reduces driver spin off the tee for maximum distance and straighter shots. A soft thermoset urethane cover provides unmatched feel with increased short-game spin for precision around the greens. Hex Aerodynamics, a revolutionary innovation that replaces conventional dimples, provide optimized seamless design to reduce drag and promote stable ball flight. New product introduction retail price: $45.99 per dozen ($11.50 per sleeve).
Steve Ogg, VP Golf Ball Research and Development, Callaway Golf: “The Tour i Series products embody all of our best golf ball technologies: an ultra-thin yet consistent reaction-injection molded (RIM) urethane cover, a four-piece construction with a dual-core and Hex Aerodynamics.”
· Callaway HX Hot Plus Golf Ball – Callaway’s longest three-piece golf ball pushes the boundaries of speed allowed under the rules of golf. A new high-speed core features a proprietary rubber formulation that increases ball velocity across a wide range of swing speeds. A new speed layer between the core and ionomer cover increases ball speed for more penetrating trajectories and increased distance. Callaway’s proprietary Hex Aerodynamics provide optimized seamless design to reduce drag and promote stable ball flight. New product introduction retail price: $27.99 per dozen ($7.00 per sleeve).
Steve Ogg, VP Golf Ball Research and Development, Callaway Golf: “HX Hot Plus takes a good thing and makes it better. The new softer, but very resilient core, coupled with a softer and thinner cover, improves the feel of the ball without sacrificing distance. HX Hot Plus has exceptional ball speed, low driver spin and a softer feel.
· Callaway Big Bertha Diablo Golf Ball – A breakthrough design has yielded unparalleled performance within the soft two-piece golf ball category. A soft yet ultra-resilient core combined with a softer ionomer cover provides remarkable distance, soft feel and stealthy control around the greens. Callaway’s proprietary Hex Aerodynamics provide optimized seamless design to reduce drag and promote stable ball flight. New product introduction retail price: $23.99 per dozen ($6.00 per sleeve).
Steve Ogg, VP Golf Ball Research and Development, Callaway Golf: “The Big Bertha Diablo golf ball redefines the soft two-piece golf ball category. With its high ball speed, low driver spin, and the lowest ball compression in the market, Big Bertha Diablo is dramatically different than any other two-piece golf ball.”
· Top-Flite D2 Golf Balls – New and improved Top-Flite D2 Golf Balls feature the proprietary DimpleinDimple™ Aerodynamic pattern that reduces drag and improves lift to maximize control and distance for a wide range of swing speeds. Available in four models: Top-Flite D2 Distance, D2 Feel, D2 Straight and D2 Diva (for women). New product introduction retail price: $15.99 per 15-ball pack ($3.25 per sleeve).
CALLAWAY GOLF FOOTWEAR & ACCESSORIES
· Callaway Hyperbolic Footwear – Advanced outsole technology, super-low profile design and new Chevron Comfort spikes provide better grip, greater control and maximum power. Insole with Shock Heel absorbs impact for long lasting comfort while Outlast™ Technology absorbs and releases excess body heat to create a pleasant and consistent micro-climate in all temperature conditions. New product introduction retail price: $179.99
· Callaway XTT Comp Footwear – Callaway Golf’s proprietary moisture management technologies provide golfers extreme comfort while dynamic cleat technology allows the cleat to flex with every step. Independent XTT technology works much like an automobile’s suspension system, adjusting at all times to changing surfaces and slopes. XWT (extra width technology) gives golfers the ability to adjust and custom fit their shoes. New product introduction retail price: $149.99
· Ion Glove – New Ion Glove from Callaway Golf features an Ion Band around the wrist. Premium AAA Grade Ethiopian Cabretta Leather offers superior fit and feel while Ion Ventilation provides effective aeration throughout the round. New product introduction retail price: $24.99
About Callaway Golf
Through an unwavering commitment to innovation, Callaway Golf Company (NYSE:ELY) creates products and services designed to make every golfer a better golfer. Callaway Golf Company manufactures and sells golf clubs and golf balls, and sells golf accessories, under the Callaway Golf®, Odyssey®, Top-Flite®, and Ben Hogan® brands in more than 110 countries worldwide. For more information please visit www.callawaygolf.com or shop.callawaygolf.com.
# # #