Nike Golf athlete Paul Casey continues to enjoy a banner 2009 season with the addition of his third win of the year at last week's BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth Club in the United Kingdom. This win marks his 11th career title and moves him to a new World Ranking of third, adding up to great performance results for Casey since switching to Nike's Victory Red (VR) irons, a new Nike prototype putter and the new Nike ONE Tour ball.
In that time, he has recorded his first PGA Tour title at the Shell Houston Open and a second-place finish at the WGC-Accenture Match play. One of the most noticeable improvements in his game has been in his putting statistics. After switching to the new Nike prototype putter, Casey has jumped from 196th in putts per round on the PGA Tour in 2008 to 56th in 2009. His overall putting average dramatically improved from a 193rd ranking in 2008 to 23rd in 2009. In the BMW PGA Championship, Casey ranked seventh in putts per round.
Using a mixed set of Nike VR irons, Casey averaged 70% in Greens in Regulation. He used the VR Forged Split Cavity irons (4-5) and the VR Forged TW Blades (6-PW), and 54 and 60-degree VR wedges. He also used a Nike ProCombo OS 3-iron. The VR Forged TW Blades feature a more traditional muscle back design and is made of 1025 Forged Carbon Steel with a CNC milled face. The Victory Red Forged TW Blades differentiate from Nike's original Blades with a more modified backpad and a slightly thicker toe. Nike's Victory Red Forged Split Cavity irons feature a split back design that positions the center of gravity behind the sweet spot for ball control while providing forgiveness.
Casey also used the successful Nike SQ Tour driver and the new Nike ONE Tour ball. With this new winning combination, Casey finished third in driving accuracy averaging 79%. Rounding out Casey's Nike arsenal were his Nike SQ II 3 and 5 fairway wood. Completing his Nike head-to-toe look, Casey wore Nike Golf Tour apparel, the new Nike Air Zoom Elite II footwear, Nike Dri-FIT Tour glove.
Casey's BMW PGA Championship Highlights
· This victory vaults Casey to #3 in World Rankings.
· This is Casey's 11th career victory.
· Ranked seventh in putts per round using a Nike prototype putter.
· Casey shot four rounds in the 60's en route to his third title of the season.
· Casey birdied three of the last four holes to secure his win.
· Casey won with a full bag of Nike Golf products and wore performance Nike Golf footwear and Nike Golf apparel.
· Casey's win was the sixth Global Tour win with Nike Golf's Victory Red irons.
Casey's Nike Golf Arsenal
· Driver: Nike SQ Tour
· Fairway Woods: Nike SQ II 3 and 5 Wood
· Irons: Nike ProCombo OS (3), Nike Victory Red (VR) Split Cavity (4-5), Victory Red (VR) Forged TW Blades (#6-PW)
· Wedges: Nike Victory Red (VR) 54 and 60-degree
· Putter: Nike Prototype Putter
· Ball: Nike ONE Tour
· Footwear: Nike Air Zoom Elite II
· Apparel: Nike Golf's Tour Collection
– Abu Dhabi Golf Championship (European Tour)
– BMW PGA Championship (European Tour)